How often are you brushing?
- A lot of people brush their teeth only once a day.
- Brushing your teeth twice a day is the normal regime.
- This is the simplest thing that could be done to avoid any dental problems.
- Brush once in the morning after breakfast and again in the evening before going to sleep.
Are you brushing your teeth long enough?
- Often you will find that we are very quick to brush our teeth.
- Not spending enough time cleaning your teeth means you have left areas of your teeth and mouth unclean.
- It is important to supervise your kids while they brush their teeth for the same reason.
- You should brush your teeth for 2 minutes every time.
Which toothpaste are you using?
- There isn’t a specific toothpaste that we recommend but any toothpaste that you use must have fluoride.
- For almost a century, fluoride has been proven to prevent dental problems.
- For kids under the age of 6, there are toothpastes which have half the amount of fluoride.
- For people at higher risk of getting cavities, there are special toothpastes that your dentist at Sandgate Bayside Dental can recommend.
- Don’t brush too hard or you can wear off the enamel off your teeth and harm your gums.
- Always use a soft toothbrush.
- For people who have been told by their dentist that they have damaged their enamel by brushing too hard, there are special electric toothbrushes in the market which can alert you when you are pressing too hard and causing harm to your teeth.
Do you rinse your mouth after brushing?
- This may sound like a shock to some but the general recommendation now is to spit out toothpaste – do not swallow it and do not rinse your mouth with water! Why? So you can leave the fluoride on your teeth and it can protect your teeth longer by strengthening your teeth.
Using the same toothbrush and not changing it?
- Toothbrushes bristles wear off slowly while brushing and hence toothbrushes are supposed to be changed every 3 months.
- If you keep using the same toothbrush for a long time (over 3 months), your toothbrush won’t truly be cleaning your teeth.
Flossing – Is that a thing that an average person does?
- Flossing between your teeth is important.
- Ideally you should floss between your teeth before you brush your teeth.
- Flossing should be done at least once a day.
These are some of the tips that you can take from our dentists in maintaining your teeth in good healthy condition. Don’t forget seeing your dentist/hygienist every 6 months for a check up and a clean.
We take great pride in the quality of service we provide. Read our 5 star google reviews from our patients.